This is part of my uni course for the unit CUC106 – “Design and Innovation: Communication and Technology”.
I am in a group of 3, the others are Lenny from Darwin and David from Sunshine Coast and we are doing a study on a small rural village in Timor Leste named Codo, in the Lautem district. We were given a number of design areas to choose from that are in need of improvement in Timor Leste. We chose improvement of drinking water at a household level using concrete BioSand water filters.
David constructed a plywood form to cast the filter body and drove down to my place to pour the filter. The following is a pictorial account of the construction process.
Here is an over view of the formwork
Here is a view of the pipe where the water travels though from the bottom
..and where the filtered water comes out.
We used a strong concrete mix of 1 part sand, 1 part gravel, 1 part cement.
Gave it a dry mix..
added water and mixed
We then poured the concrete carefully into the form, poking and prodding to ensure even distribution and banging the form with a hammer to settle the concrete and exclude any air pockets, especially around the outlet pipe which protrudes from the bottom of the form (top of filter).
We did have a bit of a problem with the form failing, so we moved it outside, removed some concrete and repaired the damage. Hopefully we recovered!
We then finished it off to leave for a few days before stripping off the form.
Part 1 is now completed.
Part 2 will be stripping and adding the filter sand and gravel, then testing.